Friday, March 14, 2008

Pi Day

March 14th is a very happening day. Besides being the day that Einstein, Dennis the Menace, and my friend Saumya were born on, it's also Pi-Day.

One of those Nerd holidays people come up with, to fill up their boring calendars with all sorts of not-so- special occasions (eg. Pancake Day, No-Pants Day, Valentine's Day etc).

Anyway - nerds all over the world supposedly celebrate this day in many ways - making pies tops the list, holding pi-memorizing contests, and yelling 'Happy Pi Day' at 1:59:26.

Yesterday, with nothing more exciting to do than studying for my compressibles test, I decided to give memorizing pi a shot. To see what the fuss was about. A few minutes later, I already had 50 digits after the decimal down - which made me realize that it's not really that hard.

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510

I think the last time I did something crazy along these lines was 6 years ago, when my best friend Medha and I decided to learn the entire periodic table. I think we stopped before element 50.

Or maybe it was 5 years ago, when I decided to memorize the license plate numbers of every vehicle in my neighborhood. That actually caught on - and soon, all the kids in the neighborhood were doing that.

In any case, I have a bad feeling all those numbers are taking up precious thinking space in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment