Thursday, March 13, 2008

My Sister

My parents called this morning to tell me that my sister had finally crossed the first frontier in her quest to become a doctor. She's officially Dr. Tulika Mittal, M.B.B.S - the first doctor in the family. And this was after weeks of non-stop, panicked phone calls from her, with her whining about how horribly she had performed on her exams, and how many more semesters she would have to repeat, and how she would never ever become a doctor.

It feels strange to realize that we're already here, at this point in time, 4.5 years later. We all knew Tulika would become a doctor the day she got into med school - she's not the kind of person who would drop out or lose interest. But hearing the statement of finality... 'your sister's a doctor now' has a different ring to it. Makes me proud. So proud.

Of course, she has a long way to go. A year-long internship, another few years of residency...and even after that, she'll be 'practicing' for the rest of her life - as the common joke goes. But I suppose saving lives, having fancy labcoats, and cool stethoscopes makes it all worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment