Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Joy of Aerospacelessness

Today was one of those days when I decided that it was a good thing that I had such a crazy schedule this semester.

After sleeping from 6pm yesterday till about 7:35 am today (with a 2-hour break in between around midnight - when I woke up for dinner/breakfast, called home and then promptly went back to sleep again), I was in a good mood when I went to volunteer today at Hornsby Bend with a group of surprisingly awake and alert engineers. Not knowing what to expect, I was surprised when we ended up at the biosolids and water treatment facility, and learned quite a lot about waste management in Austin. It's amazing what they do - using simple methods, they recycle most of the waste from the city - using digesters, ponds, aeration tanks etc. The coolest (albeit freakiest) thing I learned was that if you fell into an aeration tank, you went straight to the bottom, since it's full of air bubbles, and died. A loong Nazar meeting followed, which was fun - it had more than it's share of light moments. I did stupidly declare that I had a relatively light week coming up - neglecting to mention that included, in reality, the work for a month compressed into a single week.

Holi is being celebrated on campus tomorrow - which is one thing I can look forward to. Not being at home for Holi sucks. Missing Papa's birthday today sucks even more. :(

But at least I get to look like a colorful whacko tomorrow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment