Friday, February 29, 2008

"Be the change you want to see in the world"

I just found one of my favorite songs on youtube "Vaishnav Janato Tene Kahiyeji"... apparently, it used to be one of Gandhi's favorites too.



I don't understand the lyrics - they're in Gujrati- but my understanding is that the song talks about the best kind of qualities in a man, the kind of qualities that bring him closer to being God-like. But the music is phenomenal. The kind that finds its way straight to your heart. A totally bizarre comparison would be to the the Beatles' 'Let it be' - which has the same soothing effect on me when I'm troubled or sad.

I actually survived this week. Came out battered and bruised, but still standing. And with a will to be in better shape next time.

Had to sacrifice climbing today for a TBP event. But at least it was worth it. I'm glad I made the decision to pledge - otherwise, I'd have slowly stagnated in my own little thankless world.

While I was talking to Aditi today, she said something remarkable...that sometimes, when she talks to other people about important matters, she learns so much about how much change every individual is capable of making in the world. And that she pities the people we could have become, but didn't.

I'm realizing that now - this semester is like a new awakening...and it's nice to go back to being un-lazy and a little more hard-working. I think my brain atrophied in Cincinnati . . . and there's definitely something missing in life when learning stops. I'm beginning to understand what the whole deal with the quest for knowledge is.

And just being conscious of who I am, what I can do, and what I've become - is an encouraging thought. I think I'm really hard on myself most of the time. Things could have been so much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment