Wednesday, February 13, 2008

An Engineer's Rant - Part I, Vol I, Section I

I'm surprised I haven't done this before.

I think they need to re-write the US News: Top Colleges magazine, or similar prospective student manuals. (I realize, from all my wonderful writing/communication classes, that 'they' is a vague pronoun reference, but I don't really care in my present state of mind). Events such as 'introduce a girl to engineering day' or 'You @UT' need to be changed, to include a real-world section of 'what it's really like'. Sleep deprivation and anxiety attacks need to be part of the student job description. Zoning out during lectures, staring for hours at homework that only pretends it is in english, but is really in hebrew and latin and alien-tongue, and making optimistic plans of finishing work and failing over and over again, and being optimistic again, should also be added. And then, I will say that life for engineering students is fairly unfair.

Test on Thursday, three assignments due in the next 33 hours, only 27% of which I have completed so far, a brand-new article for Nazar due on Saturday, painful paperwork to get about $1000 plus of my money back from thieves masquerading as health and bookstore companies due soon, and a structurally-sound death by dynamics test on Tuesday. So MUCH to look forward to. (If engineers were to ever make their own ice-cream line, "Death by Dynamics" should definitely be a flavor. I think it will be swirly and red and brown -possibly a combination of cherry and chocolate. Urgh. )

1 comment:

  1. oh man I totally understand. Its like those semesters where I had 18 hour and I had weeks just like yours, except every week.

    Its ok. We have the satisfaction of knowing that we have a better handle on the beauty that is the world- an equation is worth a thousand pictures and a million words.

    Also we never have to explain to anyone why we do what we do, because we're engineers/physicists/doctors, bitch.

    And we're kickass. Totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete