Friday, June 8, 2007

May 13-June 8 : A summary

I am still amazed at how quickly things (and people) change. My situation has changed drastically since last month. In between that last post and now, I pulled off the following stunts:

I stayed up for 84 hours (with a total of 3 hours in nap-time) between May 13th and May 16th, went to Houston (after 2.5 years), visited two of my friends there, went to Burnet for Leadershape, made 38 new friends in a week, did 350 crunches with Chioma, discovered my purpose in life, and how terribly awful the real world is.

I also walked from Far West back to UT campus (I was walking for 3.5 hours - that's about 12 miles), and made my friend/ex-roommate walk with me. I had several other walking adventures - down to 4th street and back, to Town Lake and back, to this random park on Lamar and back...

I talked myself into pretending that I would get my drivers license in 2 weeks - it's the 3rd week now, and I'm still on the 4th page of the Texas Drivers' Manual Study Guide.

I went to the Six-Flags Amusement Park in San Antonio with some friends - and rode real roller coasters after 9 long years (not counting one measely ride over spring break). The last time I had been on a roller coaster had been in April, 1998 - on the Space Mountain Ride at Disneyworld.

I also attended a class. That I wasn't registered for. Just for fun. And because I didn't know what to do with myself that particular day. And I took notes. I would say that I paid attention to 97% of what the professor said - which is some sort of a record. My belief in Tom Sawyer's (Mark Twain's, for that matter) theory about work and play is reinforced. It stated: "Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do, and that Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do."
I didn't go back because of other chores I had - apartment hunting etc., and now catching up with everything would qualify as work, so I think I'll let the class go.

I went to the Coop, and had a terrible time deciding what to spend my rebate money on - An awesome Magnetic Dartboard, or a book called 'An Illustrated Guide to Aerodynamics' - a book recommended by Dr.Hans Mark (the legendary professor of the Aerospace Department at UT) during my Freshman year. My friends Mana and Ankita continued to give me harassed looks throughout my decision-making process, and I had almost made up my mind to pay from my own pocket in order to get both things - when we ran into an old friend who had dropped out of Aerospace Engineering the previous year. She said she would just give the book to me.

I discovered how bad I was at Dart-throwing that night.

I played Badminton after months and months - and have been playing almost daily. I broke my watch while playing racquetball with a squash ball in a small court with 3 other people. I also picked up 3 books, and am reading all 3 of them - 'The Golden Gate' by Vikram Seth (A novel in verse), 'Angels and Demons' by Dan Brown, 'Waiting for Daisy' by Peggy Orenstein.

I'm now waiting for a letter, and a phone-call. And then, I might go home.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment