Friday, June 22, 2007

More of this and that

So Negin and I went on another ridiculously long walk yesterday. Our destination: the bats on Congress Bridge.

We waited for them. And then they appeared. We had to move down towards the Barton Springs side of the bridge to see them clearly. As we looked down at them, we remained silent.

Finally, I spoke.
'That's it?'
We saw a swarm of oversized brown fluttery things, flying under the bridge in vicious circles, swirling and swimming in the air. The sight was mesmerizing, but not what I'd expected.
'What did you expect?' I asked Negin.
'I thought I'd see a swarm of 1.5 million bats leaving the bridge and rising up into the sky,' Negin said. Beside us, we heard a five-year-old say the exact thing to his father.

Oh well. At least we saw the bats.

Afterwards, our hunger led us to Wendy's. As the cashier returned my change, I looked at the quarter I got back, and commented on how I always tried to collect the 50 quarters for each of the different states, but failed because I ended up using the quarters for laundry.
Behind us, a guy started laughing.
'I'm sorry,' he said, turning red, as we looked at him. 'I didn't mean to overhear you, but I know what that's like.'

This morning, Negin freaked out when she found out her father's old high-school friend had decided to visit her. The apartment was a mess. We started cleaning up frantically, and shared stories about how we'd made people wait outside before while we threw everything into the closet or under the bed. 2 hours later, the apartment was barely presentable. 4 hours later, she called me, whining about how here dad's friend had called her, met her outside the apartment gates, and left, saying he was too busy to come inside.
It reminded me of dressing up for a party, and not going anywhere. Tragic.

Later, I had another long 58 minute long counseling session with my parents, who were ready to make the house look like the Jerry Springer show. It was almost fun, because I got to end the conversation with an admonishment of 'behave yourselves!'. :)

My latest favorite hangout is the Epoch, a weird 24 hour place with good coffee and mostly-good music. And a crazy waitress who is constantly swearing at her co-worker.

I've been taking drivers license practice tests all evening. People tell me that I'm worrying more than I should be: the test is mostly common sense. But as they say, common sense is uncommon in common people. I'm very common.
They also say the test is easy. But they also said ME 210 was easy. Screw them.

I need to go back and write my promised ode to YouTube. I found this old song I'd danced to when I was in 6th grade, at this annual school show where I also acted in a sixth-grade version of Shakespeare's 'Macbeth'.

I was proud of that play, because I was the director, script-writer, and protagonist. My classmates and I did a hell of a good job practicing our lines and getting the costumes ready. On the final day, however, I realized that there were certain details we had forgotten to iron out. The disposal of 'dead bodies' for instance.

As the girls died one by one, they just got up and ran off the stage, to the amusement of the audience. I was annoyed; it was my show, and they were ruining it. However, when I finally died in the final scene (I was Macbeth), I waited for somebody to drag me off the stage. As it turned out, all the other actors had somehow ended up on the right side of the stage, whereas I was on the left side. (There was no backstage). Only one girl remained on the left side. She was also one of the smallest cast-members. She tried her best to drag me out of sight, but she was at least 20 lbs lighter than I was, and in the end, I just got up and ran off the stage.
The school called Macbeth a 'comedy of errors' for a long time after that.

I related the story to Negin, and she said she remembered acting in one play in elementary school. She was a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment