Sunday, April 19, 2009

Last one today, I promise

So when I took the GRE, they (refers to vague authority figures that manifested themselves to me in the form of official-looking terms and conditions) made me promise that I would never-ever divulge the contents of the test to anyone. I forget what the consequences are.

What I hated about that test was ... well - more than just one thing, but I'm too lazy to go back and change the beginning of the sentence to refer to plural quantities. I hated that test. It was awful. The verbal section in particular. Being tested on words that any sane engineering student (I know none of them really are, but this is a figure of speech) would never encounter in his/her life, is completely bizarre. There was one particular word, the spelling of which fascinated me, because it didn't even make sense. It seemed to defy the logic of vowels being separated by consonants in normal English words. I thought I would do something special the day I came across it - which would probably be never.

And guess what, here it was today, in one of the Gilmore Girls episodes. Used not once, twice, thrice (yes, I insist on using that word), but at least 8 times.

Am I doubting my harsh judgement about the usefulness of the GRE? Not really. Most engineers don't come across words like that. And when we do, dictionary.com is only a click away.

2 comments: