Saturday, March 31, 2007

My Symphony

My co-worker and friend, Alaina, is a harpist. An excellent harpist I might add. The reason I mention her is that I discovered a poem through her - it's lovely. She said that it described her life.

To live content with small means;
to seek elegance rather than luxury,
and refinement rather than fashion;
to be worthy, not respectable,
and wealthy, not, rich;
to listen to stars and birds,
babes and sages,
with open heart;
to study hard;
to think quietly,
act frankly,
talk gently,
await occasions,
hurry never;
in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious,
grow up through the common

...this is my symphony.

WILLIAM HENRY CHANNING


I wish I could say the same. But I feel like I don't study hard enough (not consistently in any case), nor do I act frankly, or talk gently. And if I were to say that I'm never in a hurry, I will burn in Hell for a lie so big.

I suppose I could work towards being that kind of person. I'm sure this William Henry Channing guy was very happy being who he was. By which I do not mean that I'm not happy being me; but I would like to have some admirable qualities in me that others, and I personally, would like.

I love music majors - they have this easy, dreamy aura - it's very calming.

Turns out Chioma was right about me being an earth element. I took an online test that gave you your 'element composition' . I didn't try to figure out the scoring deal - but I got a 5 on earth, a 1 on fire - every other element had a negative score.

Chioma couldn't stop laughing when I told her.

No comments:

Post a Comment